ENGLISH-GERMAN EXCHANGE MLK / LFA
Why pay for expensive trips abroad to reinforce your child’s LV1 when we also have German kids who are keen to improve their English here on our doorstep?
The PSAB has started an initiative to encourage more interaction between the German and English speaking children in and around Buc during the Collège years. The benefits will be both cultural and linguistic, with the additional advantage that the children would get to know each other before meeting in 2nde at the LFA.
This year we have matched 10 Anglophone children from 5e with a German-speaking family and child with similar interests from the 5e class at the LFA. The first meetings have already taken place and the children feel excited to pursue the programme.
Initially, we leave it up to each family to manage their exchange programme with the German/Franco family.
These are just some ideas :
- families meet together first
- children meet at least once a term
- children meet up at the week-end, bank holidays or holidays, have sleep-overs or just spend the day together
- children write emails and/or letters to each other.
- Perhaps support can be given with homework, or with revising for a test.
- As the kids get older, they may like to get together as a mixed group of Anglos and Germans for a video night, bowling, disco…
The limits are your own imagination and investment
Going forward, the parents coordinating the project aim to organize some group events that will involve all the participating kids. Our goal is to expand the scope of the project to include more children and other classes.
In the meantime, any positive feedback from participating families will be extremely useful in encouraging more kids to take part. We’ll keep you posted on the progress.